Shaver-Bilyeu House

This Queen Anne farmhouse was built in 1906 by William and Lizzie Shaver. According to the National Register of Historic Places nomination form,

Adam Shaver, his older brother, Francis, and his mother, Elizabeth, were overland pioneers of 1852. They established adjoining claims on the good prairie bottomlands of the Tualatin Valley. In the familiar pattern of frontier settlement, the first houses on the claims were log cabins. The descendants of the initial settlers frequently acquired smaller acreages nearby the family claims and built houses reflecting the fashion prevailing at the turn of the century. Such was the case with the Shaver House, which was built by William, a son of Adam Shaver.


Shaver-Bilyeu House, c1984 (Oregon State Historic Preservation Office)

William farmed the land as his father had before him. 1906 tax records show that he and Lizzie had two horses, seven cattle, seven sheep, and four pigs.


William Shaver

After Lizzie and son Percy died William left the house and farm in 1919. He died at the Shaver family home near Durham Station on June 14.

Morris Moses and Alice Myers purchased the property in 1919. It was later inherited by their daughter Edna Bilyeu, who moved into the house with her husband, John. It remained in the Bilyeu family until 1965 when it was purchased by Robert Scott.


Shaver-Bilyeu House in the early 1990s (Oregon Digital)

Around 1970 the house was moved about 40 feet when SW 92nd Avenue was widened. At that time the house was also place on the diagonal, so it is no longer square with the street.

When Dan and Jacque Quello bought the house in 1990 it was in bad shape. According to a 2006 Portland Tribute article “The roof was caving in, windows were boarded up, and only dirt surrounded the house.” The Quellos set to work fixing up the 3,600-square-foot house. They also built a gazebo, added a pond, and created several English-style gardens. In 1993 the house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Quellos used to host weddings until the City of Tigard denied them a conditional use permit in 2006.

The Shaver-Bilyeu House is now known as the Quello House. Trees and vegetation make it nearly invisible from the road.


The house in 2012

Location of the Shaver-Bilyeu/Quello House:

Augustus Fanno House

Augustus Fanno was born in Maine on March 26, 1804. He worked as a seaman and then a teacher. While teaching in Missouri in 1933 he married Martha Ferguson. In 1846 they traveled the Oregon Trail with their five-year-old son, Eugene, and settled in Linn City, across the river from Oregon City. Martha, who had been pregnant during the overland trek, died in childbirth shortly after their arrival.


Augustus Fanno, 1846 (Oregon State Historic Preservation Office)

Fanno set out to find some land to call his own and found a suitable spot along the banks of a creek that would later be named after him. He and Eugene settled on the 640-acre land claim in September 1847. His was the first claim to be filed in what would eventually become Washington County. He recruited local Native Americans to help him build a log cabin. In addition to farming his land he also served as a teacher for local children. On April 17, 1851 Augustus Fanno married Rebecca Jane Denney, the daughter of a neighbor, and their first child was born later that year.


Rebecca Fanno 1849 (Oregon State Historic Preservation Office)

Fanno grew onions and became quite successful at it. His success allowed him to build a 1.5-story wood frame house in the Classical Revival style. It had a double-center chimney (later removed), two large front rooms, two small downstairs bedrooms, a sleeping area upstairs, and a kitchen wing on the back.


The Fanno house in the 1940s (Beaverton Historical Society)

By the 1870s Fanno’s farm was the main producer of onions in Oregon. Augustus Fanno died in 1884, and his son Augustus J. Fanno, continuing his father’s legacy, came to be known as “The Onion King.” In 1958 the farm was designated an Oregon Century Farm, a designation that went to farms owned and operated by the same family for at least 100 years. Fannos lived in the house until 1974. The house and 14 acres were donated as a park in 1982.


The Fanno House in 1983 (Oregon State Historic Preservation Office)

Today the house is known as the Fanno Farmhouse and is rented out by the Tualatin Hills Park & Recreation District for meetings, wedding, and social events. It is part of a park that is attached to the Fanno Creek Greenway.

Fanno Farmhouse
The Fanno House in 2012

Location of the Fanno House:
View Larger Map

Doriot/Rider Log House

Harry Garfield Doriot was born in Columbia City, Indiana on July 30, 1881 and Delpha Loy Rouch was born there on 30 April 1886. They married there on 28 September 1907 and at some point (it is not known when) moved to Oregon.

In 1925 Harry Garfield and Delpha Doriot built a log house on their 20-acre property on Bull Mountain (so named when all the wild cattle that had ranged there were killed except for one bull). According to the National Register of Historic Places nomination form, “the rural nature of Bull Mountain in the Tigard area lent itself to the Doriots’ participation in the trend of building log houses in the mid-1920s when travel and recreational opportunities were expanding and rustic architecture was popularized by the Arts and Crafts movement and the National Park Service.” They go on to say, “Various journals and magazines beginning in the late-nineteenth and early-twentieth centuries have described a fascination with the American log house. The popularity of the log house and its association with the spirit of adventure and departure from the stresses of rapidly growing and polluted cities provides a nostalgic look at our history.”

The Doriots built it as a guest house for friends and family who visited them during the 1920-1930s. The one-and-a-half story log house features simple saddle-notch log construction with mud and horse hair chinking, a steeply pitched gable roof with asphalt shingles, and a brick chimney. During the 1940s, the Doriots rented the log house to military men and their families. Harry died April 29, 1944, and in 1945 Delpha rented the house to Charles (born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1901) and Alberta (born in Pima, Arizona in 1913) Rider, who purchased it in 1947. They had a son in 1954 and they named him Douglas in honor of the large grove of Douglas-fir trees that grew around their house.


Doriot/Rider House in 2007 (Oregon State Historic Preservation Office)

Charles (better known as “Ren”) died in 1980. Alberta Rider sold a portion of the land to the Tigard-Tualatin School district and the Alberta Rider School was built in 2005. As part of the sales agreement Alberta was allowed to live on the property for as long as she wished. She would sometimes walk over to the school and eat lunch with the kids in the cafeteria.

Today the house is the only known historic log structure in Tigard and it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2008. Alberta Rider died August 12, 2009 at age 96. In 2010 the ivy and blackberry vines that had engulfed the house were cut and the nearby school announced plans to use the house as part of a curriculum for teaching about the Oregon Trail.


Doriot/Rider House in 2012


Doriot/Rider House in 2012

Location of Doriot/Rider House:

View Larger Map